The Greenways are managed through the s.355 Greenways Management Committee (see more below) of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council (QPRC).
Principles for management of the Greenways
- That environmental protection be observed in relation to the management and administration of the Greenways;
- That the Greenways (both land and its other resources) be used and managed as a sustainable resource, and;
- That multiple use and enjoyment of the greenways be encouraged.
Objectives of the s.355 Greenways Management Committee
In providing for the good management of the Greenway and in carrying out duties, the committee has the following objectives:
- To encourage and otherwise ensure the conservation of natural flora and fauna, to raise public awareness of the importance of the Greenways and to encourage any community participation in any actions required in the Management Plan;
- Use of the Greenways in accordance with the Management Plan;
- To minimise the effect of trampling and soil erosion caused by user groups;
- To deter the introduction and spread of feral plants and animals;
- To protect the waterways, ephemeral or permanent;
- To protect all identified significant areas or sites, whether environmental or cultural;
- To provide and maintain the amenity of the Greenways for the enjoyment of the community.
GRoW, the Greenways Renewal Working Group, is a group of local residents who work to identify new paths that could be added to the network. GRoW also organise walks along the existing Greenways network.
GRoW’s fundamental aim is to increase the network of public access ways/Greenways in the Bywong & Wamboin locality, connecting with other areas of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Region, to facilitate residents, visitors and other interest groups to undertake a range of safe, quiet non-motorised activities whilst protecting and enhancing the natural environment for all to enjoy.
GRoW is an affiliate of the Bywong Community Inc (Association).
The co-ordinator for the GRoW group is Nora Stewart.
Greenways Master Plan: December 2018
A master plan for the Greenways– Greenways Master Plan (Version 1.1) was prepared by the s.355 Greenways Management Committee, in collaboration with GRoW, following a public meeting in November 2016. The plan was published in December 2018 and outlines a number of new potential greenway routes across Bywong & Wamboin.
s.355 Greenways Management Committee
The Committee comprises representatives of the primary Greenways user groups and carries out necessary maintenance works through periodic working bees that are supported by voluntary labour provided by local residents.
MINUTES of s.355 Committee meetings are available for DOWNLOAD here:
- No meetings recorded
- s.355 Greenway Committee Minutes 26 March 2019
- s.355 Greenways Committee Minutes 10 September 2019
- s.355 Greenways Committee AGM Minutes 10 September 2019
- s.355 Greenways Committee ASSESSMENT OF WORKS October 2019
- s.355 Greenways Committee Minutes 9 December 2019
- No records available
- s.355 Greenway Committee Minutes 1 November 2016
- s.355 Greenway Committee AGM Minutes 1 November 2016
- s.355 Greenway Committee ASSESSMENT OF WORK 1 November 2016.docx
Committee members can be contacted through the QPRC committee coordinator, Debby Ferguson.
All Greenways website pages are currently being maintained by Nora Stewart. Last updated 1 July 2020.
You can find us on FaceBook – Greenways Bywong and Wamboin